We are all well aware of how humans impact the natural environment, from our increasing demand on natural resources to the amount of waste and pollution we are responsible for. The knowledge of how centuries of environmental abuse has affected our planet and the will to minimise further damage needs to permeate almost every aspect of how we live and the decisions we make every day. This includes how to build, finish and furnish our homes.
One of the many ways in which people have negatively impacted our planet is through deforestation; the clear-cutting or burning of natural forests to make way for human habitation, agriculture, industry etc. Although this remains a serious threat, in recent decades, reforestation, selective harvesting, stringent logging regulation and third-party certification standards are making a positive change.
While some people may have reservations about buying wooden interior design finishes because of the stigma of deforestation, there are some considerable environmental benefits of opting for wood over synthetic products.
- There are sustainable fast-growing alternative tree species such as the Kiri tree that has an impressive strength to weight ratio, low resin and natural resistance to borer beetle and decay, reducing the need for chemical treatments.
AMERICAN shutters’ Normandy shutters are made of Kiri wood.
- Certifications such as those by independent organisations the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) give assurances that the product is made from timber sourced from a sustainable plantation.
AMERICAN shutters® is the only FSC® accredited shutter company in South Africa. Our White Teak Shutters are made from timber sourced from certified Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®)
- According to Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), a scientific approach that assesses a product’s environmental impact i.e. the resources used and the emissions released during manufacture, use and disposal, wood products are better than alternative materials.
- Wood does not off-gas toxic chemicals or volatile organic compounds (VOCs) which are harmful for the environment and pose serious health risks.
All AMERICAN shutters’ wooden shutters are VOC safe.
- Wood is one of the strongest natural materials; it is durable and long-lasting. It does not need as much maintenance and replacing as other synthetic materials.
AMERICAN shutters offers a comprehensive guarantee on all its wood shutters
- Wood manufacturing is a zero-waste industry with no resources sent to landfills for example e.g. even wood fibres can be used in engineered wood products, resulting in up to 95% of the tree being utilised.
AMERICAN shutters’ Decowood shutters are specialized in that the engineered timber encases a cross laminated timber core for structural stability.
There is nothing quite like the beautiful texture, scent, warmth and look of quality wooden shutters; they elevate the aesthetic and value of any home. But when choosing your shutter manufacturer and range, it is important to consider both the finer details of the product as well as the bigger picture. Simply said, it is important to see the wood for the trees.